The event, which has become one of the hallmarks of new media achievement in Africa highlights the power of the media among communities especially as a way of promoting open and free expression that boosts growth and development.
This event will also see the 10th Edition of the Africa New Media Awards. The 3 categories for awards will be:
- Individual/Student – awarded to individual persons who design or appropriate new affordable applications of communication technologies to overcome the limitations of existing infrastructure and/or capital resources.
- Not-for-Profit – awarded to users of appropriate media technology to advance and assist communities and persons limited by infrastructure and/or technological access.
- Corporate – awarded to corporate groups for creative and appropriate adaptation of technologies within the continent to complete effectively in the wider environment.
Entries will have a broad criteria which include:
The judges will consider the use of new media technologies to:
- Advance press freedom on the continent;
- Encourage social empowerment amongst marginalised communities;
- Highlight innovative and creative applications of global technology for the benefit of the continent’s overall media development.
More details on the Highway Africa website http://www.highwayafrica.com